Art therapy may be experienced as a group process or as individual counselling, in the context of a professional therapeutic relationship.
- A variety of art media is used, including pencils, pastels, paint, chalk, clay and paper. Colour theory and technical help is available.
- Depending on the needs of the client, the focus may be on the making of art or on discussing the art work.
- The process of making the art is as important as the end product.
- The emphasis of art therapy is on self-discovery and self-expression.
- Creating art can be fun and relaxing.